Portland Farmers Market’s “Tart Lady” fills her famous cookies with Oregon Growers Marionberry Jam
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2-pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 9 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 jar of Oregon Growers & Shippers Marionberry Jam
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash
- Cream the cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light.
- Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the salt, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Dump the dough out onto a well-floured board and roll it into a ball. Cut the ball in quarters, and wrap each piece in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the filling, combine 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- On a well-floured board, roll each ball of dough flat into a 9-inch circle.
- Spread the dough with 2 tablespoons of Oregon Growers & Shippers Marionberry Jam and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the filling.
- Press the filling lightly into the dough. Cut the circle into 12 equal wedges–cutting the whole circle in quarters, then each quarter into thirds.
- Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place the cookies, points tucked under, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush each cookie with the egg wash. Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on the cookies.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack and let cool.