Gluten Free Cherry Zinfandel, Goat Chevre, and Basil Pizza
Spring has sprung in Hood River, OR and we are all very excited about the longer days! Longer days mean later dinners as well. We were looking through the cupboards and got some inspiration on this recipe because we had some of our Cherry Zinfandel fruit spread waiting to be used in the refrigerator! Nothing beats the combination of Cherries, Goat Chevre, and Basil together. The combination of sweet and savory make this a great way to start your meal! If you are having company over, this would be great as an appetizer if you cut them in quarters. In this recipe we used spinach but if you have arugula lying around that would just as delicious!
Bob’s Red Mill makes a great gluten free crust but, you don’t have to make them gluten free. A dough made from scratch or another pizza mix will work just fine(because sometimes there is no time for scratch baking). We hope you enjoy this recipe and let us know how it turned out for you!
1 bag Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Crust or crust of choice
Follow the directions on the bag or the recipe of your choice. Form the dough into the size of crusts you desire. I formed them into ~3.5 in rounds. When working with the GF dough, I keep a container of water to wet my heads, it makes it easier to work with.
Note: Par-bake the crust before putting the ingredients on when using a gluten free crust. I would also recommend this for a standard pizza crust recipe as well.
1 sm. Yellow Onion, Caramelized(click on link for great direction on how to caramelize)
1-6 oz container of Goat Chevre, we used Wind Mountain Creamery Chevre
1 pkg Basil (small)
2 C. Fresh Spinach, torn or slightly wilted.
TT Fresh Cracked Pepper
Oil, As needed
Optional, Balsamic to drizzle.
- Bake crust according to the directions on the back.
- While it’s baking, peel onion, cut in half, and slice the onion into 1/4 in slices.
- Heat up saute pan, add oil and onion when pan is hot. Cook onions until nicely caramelized. Click on this link for great directions on caramelizing.
- When pizza is finished par-baking, spread the Cherry Zinfandel fruit spread over the crust(s). If you are making mini pizza’s use 1 heaping Tablespoon for each 3.5 in crust. For 1 large pizza use a half cup. You want to cover the surface nicely.
- Crumble or spoon small amounts of cheese all around pizza.
- Add spinach and caramelized onion. Top with more goat cheese crumbles.
- Put back into oven for about 10 minutes. To finish baking crust and to warm the ingredients up.
- When the pizza is finished, chiffonade the basil and sprinkle over pizza(s). The link will show you how to!
- Grind fresh peppercorns over pizza for the final touch.
- If you like Balsamic vinaiger, drizzle a little around the pizza.
- Saute Pan (stainless steal or cast iron works really well)
- Cutting Board
- Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Bowl for mixing pizza crust
- Measuring cups and spoons