Stephanie’s “Healthy” Vanilla Bean Cake with Fresh Strawberries & Whipped Cream
I recently made this cake for a friend’s small wedding reception. She originally mentioned that she preferred something on the healthy side, but knowing that is not my specialty, I suggested this cake and she happily put those feelings aside! A light and fluffy vanilla cake layered with lots of fresh strawberries, our Oregon Growers Strawberry Preserve and fresh whipped cream, (my version of healthy I guess!) a perfect way to celebrate any summer event!
Oregon Growers Customer Care
Vanilla Bean Cake
With fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon baking soda
½ Teaspoon salt
1 ½ Sticks of unsalted butter- room temperature
¾ Cup sugar
1 Cup sour cream
¼ Cup buttermilk
1 Teaspoon good vanilla extract
2 vanilla beans split lengthwise
Fresh Whipped Cream
Fresh Strawberries (buy locally if you can!)
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 round 9inch cake pans.
- Sift the flour and next 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a stand up mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar and medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each egg.
- Add vanilla and contents of the inside of the split vanilla beans by scraping with the backside of a knife.
- Add sour cream and buttermilk until well blended in.
- On medium low speed, slowly add the flour mixture, blend just until all ingredients are incorporated, be careful not to over mix .
- Pour batter equally in each cake pan.
- Rotating your cake pans half way through, bake for a total 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of each cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 15 minutes, then remove cake and let completely cool on cooling racks.
For the fresh whipped cream
- Whisk on high speed in a stand up mixer with a whisk attachment or hand mixer until thick the chilled heavy whipping cream and ¾ cup of sifted powdered sugar.
- Spoon a thin layer of Oregon Growers Strawberry Preserve on the tops of each cake.
- Then add sliced strawberries, letting the outer strawberries hang over the edge of each cake.
- Finish off by topping with the whipped cream.
- Carefully place one cake layer on top of the other.
- Finish by scattering additional layer of strawberries on the top of the finished cake.